On 16th March late night, the newly minted Prime Minister of Malaysia Muhyiddin announced Nationwide Movement Control Order lasting till 31st March. How would this affect online casinos in Malaysia?
What does this order mean?
- From Mar 18 to Mar 31, all Malaysians are prohibited from leaving the country. Those who return from overseas will have to go through health checks and go on a 14-day self-quarantine
- Foreign visitors, including tourists, will also not be allowed to enter Malaysia during this period.
He went on to say: –
- Public gatherings and movements in the whole country, including religious events, sports meets, social and cultural activities will be prohibited
- To enforce this, all places of worship and business premises must be closed, except for supermarkets, grocery stores and convenience stores selling everyday necessities
- All schools and higher learning institutions will also be closed
- all firms will be closed except for those involved in essential services such as water, electricity, energy, telecommunications, transport, oil, petrol, safety and defence
Since Monday, schools in Malaysia and Singapore have been shut for the Term 1 Holiday which lasts one week. So with this order that 1 week has been extended to 2.
Ever since the numbers started increasing after the huge cluster at a religious gathering, people had been practising social distancing.
Increase in Malaysia Online Casino Volumes
Online Casinos in Malaysia since a month back had been experiencing a slight increase in volumes, and it is expected that during this period the numbers would increase further. With more idle time on their hands, more players would be spending considerably more time online.
It is also expected that during this period Online Casino Operators will do additional marketing and promotions to lure and to keep players playing. Since Friday, the popular games such as 918Kiss, Mega888 and Xe88 had already seen an increase with the start of the school holidays. We interviewed i1SCR last night after news broke of the Movement Control Order and they had this to say: –
“We have planned for this and are prepared to serve all our players during this period, and will also be doing more promotions. Stay Safe, Stay Indoors!”
However, due to the cancellation of many sporting events around the world, this has affected Sports Betting significantly. But with most online casino sites offering a full range of slots, poker and baccarat there is no lack of other options.