The England international had been earmarked as one of Pep Guardiola’s key summer targets and has now moved to the Etihad Stadium on a six-year deal for an undisclosed fee
Manchester City have confirmed the signing of defender John Stones from Everton on a six-year deal.
Pep Guardiola had identified John Stones, 22, as one of his primary targets this summer and has now got his man for an undisclosed fee.
It is being widely reported that the England international has become the most expensive British defender in history by joining City for a figure believed to be in the region of £47.5m.
UEFA jumped the gun earlier on Tuesday by revealing on their website that John Stones had been named in his new side’s Champions League squad, despite neither City nor Everton confirming the deal.
However, City have since announced the switch and John Stones has said he is looking forward to starting the next chaper of his career.
“I’m absolutely delighted to sign for City and now the deal’s done I’m looking forward to the next stage in my career,” he told City’s official website.
“I’ve obviously seen what’s going on here at the Etihad, it’s an ambitious Club with a great manager so I can’t wait to get stuck in and help achieve the goals.
“I know it will be tough getting a place in this team but I’m determined to become the best player I can be and help us to success.
“I had a wonderful time with Everton and wish them and their fans all the best but now I’ll give my all for City.”
Manager Guardiola added: “We want to help John show his quality with us and improve on what he has already achieved.
“I like the way he plays the game and I’m looking forward to welcoming him into the squad.”
John Stones has become City’s eighth summer signing following the earlier arrivals of Ilkay Gundogan, Nolito, Aleksandar Zinchenko, Aaron Mooy, Leroy Sane, Gabriel Jesus and Marlos Moreno.
Bayern swaps Pep with Ancelotti with eyes fixed – GamingSafe